The Philippine government is urging its citizens to leave Libya after a report that a Filipino man was hurt during a rocket attack in Tripoli.
On Wednesday, Chargé d’Affaires Elmer Cato of the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli said in a tweet that a Filipino was wounded in the forehead after being hit during a rocket attack, Philippine Daily Inquirer reported.
“We have one Filipino wounded in the forehead. He now wants to go home,” Cato said. Cato urged Filipinos in the capital to return home due to the escalating violence in Libya. However, Cato added that it was up to Filipinos to stay or leave.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said a six-member team of labor personnel and welfare officers would be sent to Libya to help Filipinos get repatriated. It was reported that more than 1,000 Filipinos will be helped to return home.
“If the situation worsens, the number of Filipinos to be repatriated may increase but is expected to be within a manageable level,” Bello said.
Last week, the Department of Foreign Affairs raised the crisis alert level in Tripoli to Level 3, which required voluntary repatriation. Under this level, Filipinos working in Libya but who are currently in the Philippines will not be allowed to travel back to the country.