The Philippine government has assisted 15 more Filipinos to return home from war-torn Libya as violence continues to increase in the country. There has also been a report of foreign workers being injured at a company which employed more than a dozen Filipinos.
In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said a total of 70 Filipinos have been brought home from Libya since it called for mandatory repatriation two months ago. The latest returnees – the biggest batch of Filipinos assisted – included five minors and two Islamic scholars.
Embassy Charge d’Affaires Elmer Cato said the Filipinos flown back arrived in Manila on Thursday afternoon. The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli has urged all Filipinos in Libya to leave the country as soon as possible for their own safety.
“The Embassy reiterated its appeal to the more than 1,000 other Filipinos still in Tripoli to accept the government’s repatriation offer because of intensified fighting in the immediate outskirts of the capital,” the DFA said.
Cato said the Embassy had also lost contact with at least 14 Filipinos working for the Al Nahr Company, who were staying in the company’s compound. It was learned that the compound was stuck by artillery rounds last week and several foreign workers were wounded.
Earlier this month, the DFA raised the crisis alert level in Libya to Level 4, which urges evacuation or mandatory repatriation of Filipinos.