Mid-Levels on Hong Kong Island. Photo: Google Maps

A 38-year-old Filipina domestic worker saved her female employer when a fire broke out at a home in the Mid-Levels on Hong Kong Island on Monday.

At 5 am, when the employer, 60, and the domestic worker were sleeping in an apartment at Tycoon Court on 8 Conduit Road, a television set in the living room burst into flame, burning the furniture nearby, the Sing Tao Daily reported.

The employer and the worker were woken by heavy smoke and saw the fire in the living room. The employer was frightened, did not know what to do and was unable to walk. Her domestic worker helped her escape from the apartment.

Firemen arrived and put the fire out in 15 minutes and also evacuated about 150 residents from the building. The employer and the worker did not feel well after inhaling heavy smoke and were sent to a hospital for treatments. After an initial investigation, the firemen believed the fire started after a short circuit in the television set. No foul play was involved.

The employer said the TV set was a Korean brand which she bought four years ago.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *