The roasted sweet potato shop on Xinxing Road in Tainan. Photo: Google Maps

A fire which broke out in a snack shop in Tainan, Taiwan, on Tuesday night has left the Vietnamese tenants who lived upstairs homeless over Christmas.

At about 7:50 pm on December 25, the Tainan city government fire bureau received a call about a blaze at a roasted sweet potato shop at No. 6, Alley 1 on Lane 448 of Xinxing Road in the South District, the China Daily News reported.

The ground floor shop was full of fuel for the fire such as charcoal and paper cartons and the fire burned fiercely and engulfed the entire three-story building.

The tenants, mostly Vietnamese migrant workers, had to evacuate. After nearly 50 minutes, the fire was bought under control and completely extinguished by 9 pm.

No one was injured, but the fire left the migrants homeless and they were forced to seek help from their friends in the city.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.