The Philippine government is providing assistance to Filipino tourists who were reportedly trapped at their hotel in Sapporo after an earthquake struck in Hokkaido, Japan.
On Thursday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement that a 26-member tour group from the Philippines had been rescued after they were trapped in their hotel when an earthquake with a magnitude of 6.7 struck Hokkaido, Manila Bulletin reported.
Jose C. Laurel, ambassador to Japan, said that the Filipinos are all safe and accounted for. The Philippine Embassy in Japan is making arrangements to ensure that they have food, water and accommodations until it is safe for them to leave Sapporo.
The Embassy has confirmed with authorities that there are no Filipinos among the injured. Electricity has been restored in Sapporo and shops and key establishments have reopened.
“The Embassy continues to monitor the condition of the 1,800 members of the Filipino Community in Sapporo and other areas in Hokkaido that were affected by the earthquake,” the DFA said.