Two Filipino construction workers were killed in a fire that struck a construction site in southwestern Saudi Arabia early on Sunday.
In a statement, the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs said the victims had been identified as Jessie Alata Pacetes and Reynaldo Barroga Castro, who were both heavy-equipment drivers and operators.
Pacetes and Castro were employed by a major construction company in Saudi Arabia that was working on a road project in the Najran region in the southwest of the country near the Yemeni border.
Edgar Badajos, the Philippine consul general in Jeddah, said the victims were in their sleeping quarters at their job site 60 kilometers from the city of Najran. The fire was believed to have been caused by faulty electrical wiring.
Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah was working with the construction company for the immediate repatriation of the victims’ remains.