An Indonesian migrant worker survived almost unscathed after jumping from the second floor of a building in Taiwan on Saturday after a fire broke out.
However, a 35-year-old Taiwanese woman who was staying in a friend’s flat died after the blaze engulfed the three-story building.
The Indonesian woman named only as Amy was living on the second floor of the building in Taoyuan City and was woken by smoke in the early hours of Saturday morning. She saved her life by jumping from a second floor balcony and landed on a shelter before falling to the ground. She sustained only minor cuts and bruises.
At 2am a fire broke out at a laundry on the first floor of the building on Lane 49 of Xiyuan Road of the Zhongli district in Taoyuan City, China Times reported. The blaze spread quickly and engulfed the entire building. Firefighters arrived at 2:18am and put it out by 2:50am.
A 35-year-old Taiwanese woman from Kaohsiung City staying over at her friend’s flat was later found dead of suffocation.
The victim Taiwanese woman who died worked as a beautician in Kaohsiung City. Firemen found her lying on a staircase unconscious, with no pulse and not breathing. She was pronounced dead at the hospital, allegedly due to suffocation.
A preliminary investigation suggested the fire started in the laundry shop due to a short circuit.