The neighborhood on Lane 57 of Chunan Road in Nantun District, Taichung City. Photo: Google Maps

A Vietnamese woman suffered severe burns in a gas explosion as she was about to cook breakfast at a house in Taichung, central Taiwan.

The 23-year-old, with the surname Tran, sustained second-degree burns to at least 50% of her body in Sunday’s blast, but was conscious when she was taken to hospital. Two other Vietnamese were in the house at the time, but escaped with only minor injuries.

Initial reports suggest that gas was leaking in the kitchen at the brick house on Lane 57 of Chunan Road in Nantun District, and it ignited when Tran turned on the stove at 5:58am, the Liberty Times reported.

Fifteen fire engines and 47 firefighters were dispatched to the scene, and the fire was put out after about 30 minutes.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.