People advised to check bathroom heaters in Hong Kong. Photo: Google Maps, Wikimedia Commons

A flat in Tsing Lung Tau in the New Territories caught fire on Sunday after a short circuit in a bathroom fan heater. A 21-year-old man, who lives in an apartment at Block A of Yale Villa in Hong Kong Garden in Tsing Lung Tau, reported heavy smoke and fire surrounding the heater’s socket, Sing Tao Daily reported.

Although the fire services were called in, the man was able to put out the blaze before it spread. No one was hurt.

Initial findings after the investigation were that the fire was triggered by a short circuit.

Wan Koon-sun, chairman of the Hong Kong and Kowloon Electrical Engineering and Appliances Trade Workers Union, has advised people using a fan heaters in a bathroom to make sure the sockets are dry, Apple Daily reported.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.