A young Indonesian woman got into bother just a week after starting work as a maid in Singapore – accidentally spilling hot water onto a seven-month-old toddler while trying to make the girl laugh.
The accident happened around at 11:15am on December 8 inside a government residential unit in Pasir Ris, Singapore, Lianhe Wanbao (Singapore) reported.
The couple who employed the 24-year-old maid was about to leave home and reminded the domestic worker, who was in the kitchen, to pour in some hot water into a flask for convenience.
The maid came out to the living room with the flask in her hand and found the little girl smiling happily. She then shook the bottle to grab her attention to make the girl laugh.
However, hot water spilled out from the flask onto the maid’s hand and the girl’s right arm as the cap had not been screwed on completely. The girl immediately cried out in pain.
The 27-year-old mother was shocked and got her 29-year-old husband to put the girl’s burnt arm under cool running water. Blisters formed on the area hit by the hot water.
The couple rushed their daughter to a nearby clinic, only to be told there would face a wait of more than two hours. That prompted them to visit Changi Hospital, but pediatricians were unavailable there. So, they were finally advised to go to the emergency room at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for burns treatment.
The mother told a reporter she was infuriated and wanted to sack the maid right away, but her husband told her the maid did not do it on purpose – it was simply an accident that no one would expect.
The couple decided to forgive her and show some concern to their maid, who was also injured and felt guilty about the incident.