Trade negotiators for the US and China will face off this week in Shanghai, when US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin arrive on Tuesday to meet with China’s top negotiator, Vice-Premier Liu He. In recent months the two sides have taken only limited steps on the thorny issues of Huawei and agricultural purchases, but moving beyond these minor successes could prove difficult, making a quick end to the trade war between Washington and Beijing anything but a certainty.
Trade relations between the world’s two biggest economies have been volatile under US President Donald Trump, whose aggressive stance on China trade has been marked by a lack of preparation and understanding of the main issues involved. By failing to prepare the United States for the duration or cost of a trade war, the administration has risked enormous longer-term costs that will have seriously negative consequences for both countries.
Over the last couple of decades, the US and China have enjoyed a mutually beneficial trading relationship whose cooperation has seen both sides profit. Such a non-zero-sum game is what advances society. Instead of obsessing over China’s perceived violations of trading norms, the United States must now deal with the Asian giant’s legitimate aims. How can this be done in a productive manner, and what should Trump’s policy look like? Here are some reciprocal solutions to the US-China trade war:
- The United States should not make China their enemy, but neither should the US pretend they are friends. We are beginning to see China attempting to impose its product standards worldwide. China is building a network of bases intended to dominate sea lanes, and is moving to to appropriate the entire South China Sea. Washington ignores these attempts at hegemony at America’s peril.
- The Trump administration is allowing China to divide and conquer instead of using the best tools it has available: the international consensus and networks that have worked so well for America in the past. The US should avoid going out of its way to alienate allies like the EU, Japan, Canada and Mexico. These countries are friends and Washington should work with them strategically to counter China’s expansionist tendencies.
- Although China has set itself the goal of having a world-class military by mid-century, it still faces immense hurdles before it can become a globally dominant military power. American policy seems to assume that the US will remain “in charge,” which smacks of the West’s ongoing underestimation of China. Why does America appear to be in a race to see who can weaken Western democratic norms more, China or Trump? Commentators around the world accuse Trump of being far more damaging to world order than China has been.
- With the right balance of competition and cooperation, US actions can strengthen the hands of Chinese leaders who want their country to play a constructive role in world affairs. How exactly do Trump advisers propose to navigate Beijing’s often opaque policies under paramount-leader-for-life, Xi Jinping? How can they expect to build bridges with senior figures in such a regime?
- The trade war is characterized by nervousness, but Washington intransigence will not prevent the continued expansion of the Chinese economy, a greater global market share for Chinese companies, and an increased Chinese role in world affairs. Moreover, the United States cannot significantly slow China’s rise without damaging its own economy. In other words, resistance is indeed futile.
- China has been a full WTO member since 2001, despite flagrant, repeated violations. It has had open access to virtually every market, without granting reciprocity, while violating intellectual property laws for years. How much more one-sided participation and cooperation can China expect to exploit? A wiser policy is to work with allies to maintain deterrence, emphasizing defensive-oriented, area denial capabilities, resiliency and the ability to frustrate attacks on US or allied territories, while strengthening crisis-management efforts with Beijing. The best American response to these practices is to work with allies to create a more open and prosperous world in which China has the opportunity to participate.
- The United States’ interests are best served by restoring its ability to compete effectively in a changing world and by working alongside other nations rather than by promoting a counterproductive effort to undermine and contain China’s engagement with the world. However, this poses a limited, binary choice on the horns of a false dilemma: that you either secure a cooperative modus operandi with allies or you act unilaterally. But the essence of US foreign policy since World War II has been to engage in both. The problem is not doing both, it is a misalignment of the two, a common feature of the Trump administration’s blundering foreign policy.
- One of the main problems facing America is its widely-held belief that America’s way is the only way. Moreover, America is trying too hard to dominate the world through military power, while China instead targets economic power. America has to remember that China is a country in upheaval. To see China only as a threat is a grave mistake. Instead of making enemies of its allies, America should work together with them to try and point China in the right direction.
- I honestly believe that, given its economic might, China poses a greater long-term threat than Russia or any other country. But what makes China increasingly assertive and even aggressive are the actions and policies of the Trump administration, which send a message to the Chinese that America is weak and, most importantly, has lost its moral compass.
- Efforts to isolate China will simply weaken those Chinese who are intent on developing a more humane and tolerant society. Trump’s conduct towards China has been largely maladroit and will probably be ineffectual if not actually counterproductive in the long term. I also contend that better co-operation with allies is absolutely crucial.
The rapid rise of the Asian giant to the status of economic powerhouse has caused serious disruptions between the US and China. Washington’s ongoing efforts to disrupt China’s rising strength in the global economy could end up damaging and isolating America. A successful US approach must focus on creating enduring coalitions with China in support of economic and security objectives. Given China’s actions and goals, the US must try a different, more aggressive approach. This must be based on a realistic appraisal of Chinese perceptions rather than counterproductive efforts to undermine and contain China’s engagement with the world. Washington must stop treating China as the enemy.
Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I
guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m
still new to the whole thing. Do you have any recommendations for rookie blog writers?
I’d definitely appreciate it.
Howdy! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog
platform are you using for this site? I’m getting tired of
Wordpress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.
Your style is unique in comparison to other people I have read
stuff from. Many thanks for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I
will just bookmark this page.
My spouse and I stumbled over here different web address and thought
I might check things out. I like what I see so now i’m following
you. Look forward to exploring your web page repeatedly.
Incredible story there. What occurred after? Take care!
We are in need of Male or Female who wants to sell a k1dneys A , B , O with the sum of $500,000.00 and lives a healthy life.
whatsapp +91 9945317569
I will immediately seize your rss feed as I can’t find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me know so that I could subscribe.
There’s definately a lot to learn about this subject. I love all
of the points you have made.
What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable familiarity concerning unpredicted feelings.
Greetings I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by
error, while I was looking on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would
just like to say cheers for a marvelous post
and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I
will be back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic b.
Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my site thus i got here to return the desire?.I am trying to find things to enhance my website!I guess its
adequate to use some of your concepts!!
What’s up, for all time i used to check website
posts here early in the daylight, for the reason that i love to find out more
Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running
off the screen in Internet explorer. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I
thought I’d post to let you know. The layout look
great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Kudos
Great post! We will be linking to this great article on our site.
Keep up the great writing.
Thanks for another excellent article. Where else could anyone get
that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week,
and I am at the look for such info.
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!
For the reason that the admin of this website is working,
no doubt very quickly it will be famous, due to its quality contents.
I used to be recommended this blog by my cousin. I am now not sure whether this publish
is written through him as nobody else know such targeted approximately my difficulty.
You’re amazing! Thanks!
Yes! Finally something about cbd oil.
I simply couldn’t leave your web site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information an individual supply on your visitors?
Is going to be again ceaselessly to inspect new posts
Hey There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. That is a really
neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read
extra of your useful info. Thank you for the post.
I’ll certainly return.
Just desire to say your article is as surprising.
The clearness for your put up is just spectacular and i
can assume you are knowledgeable on this subject.
Well together with your permission allow me to take
hold of your RSS feed to keep updated with
impending post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.
Leave a comment