A total of 180,000 people attended the annual June 4 vigil in Victoria Park in Hong Kong Island on Tuesday to mark the 30th anniversary of crackdown of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests, according to the organiser.
The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China said the number of participants were in line with its prediction. Hong Kong police said there were 37,000 at its peak.
Last year, organisers said there were 115,000 people in the June 4 vigil while police said there were 17,000 at its peak.
Participants filled all six football pitches in Victoria Park in Causeway Bay. More people were turning up half an hour after the event began at 8pm. During the event, there were chants calling for the student-led democracy movement of 1989 to be vindicated.
It was important to record the memory of the crackdown, said Lee Cheuk-yan, the secretary of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China.
Organisers of the vigil also called for a rally on June 9 against the proposed extradition bill, which will allow the Chief Executive to begin a legal procedure to extradite criminal suspects to mainland China.
In April 1989, thousands of pro-democracy students rallied on street in Beijing after the death of pro-reform Communist leader Hu Yaobang. On May 20, the State Council declared martial law and mobilized hundreds of thousands of troops to Beijing. In the early morning of June 4, the troops charged into central parts of Beijing and killed demonstrators and bystanders. Every year, the June 4 candlelight vigil takes place in Victory Park in Hong Kong. Similar activities are not allowed to take place in mainland China.