A 12-year-old boy was seriously injured when he fell from a fourth-floor window as he tried to take in the laundry in Tsuen Wan in the New Territories on Tuesday.
The accident happened at about 8 am when the boy, a primary six student, fell from the window at his home on the fourth floor at 59 Yeung Uk Road in Tsuen Wan and landed on the first-floor podium, the Oriental Daily reported.
The boy, who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), was rushed to the Princess Margaret Hospital. He was in a critical condition and suffering bone fractures in both legs.
His mother sent a younger son to school, leaving the boy at home alone. He woke up and wanted to collect school uniforms hanging outside of the window, which did not have any grill.
It was believed he lost his balance and fell. His mother was later arrested and may face a charge of “children being left unattended at home.”
Pediatric specialist Dr Chan Yee-shing said parents and caretakers should pay extra attention to children with ADHD, adding that leaving them at home unattended was very dangerous as they have trouble focusing their attention, act impulsively and act in ways that are risky, Sing Tao Daily reported.