Bowen Road on Hong Kong and, inset, wild mushrooms. Photo: Google Maps/iStock

The Centre for Health Protection has urged the public no to pick and eat wild mushrooms after three women suffered food poisoning in Hong Kong.

The three foreign women were aged from 36 to 45 and had cooked and ate the wild mushrooms they picked along Bowen Road on Hong Kong on Friday, according to a government release.

All three developed abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and sweating 30 minutes after consuming wild mushrooms at home. They were admitted to the Ruttonjee Hospital and remained in a stable condition. They have now been discharged.

The health center’s investigation was ongoing and they urged the public not to pick wild mushrooms to eat as it was difficult to distinguish the edible species from inedible ones. According to figures from the Hong Kong Poison Control Centre, 67 people were poisoned after consuming wild mushrooms over a 10-year period to 2016 and one death case was recorded, the Ming Pao Daily reported.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *