Photo: iStock.

A home in the Indonesian capital Jakarta was destroyed when a mobile phone exploded and created a blaze that engulfed the premises.

Local police chief Sujarwo said the homeowner’s child put the mobile phone on charge and placed it on a bed, The Jakarta Post.

But the phone that was being charged reportedly overheated, then allegedly exploded and set the bed on fire, he said.

Ten fire engines were sent to the scene but it took the firefighters about an hour to extinguish the blaze. While no casualties were reported, the fire caused millions of rupiah in damage.

Ferdiansyah, a witness who saw the drama unfold, said the fire started from a second-floor bedroom.

In December 2018, a six-year-old girl in Bogor, West Java was electrocuted when she used a mobile phone while it was charging. A bolt of lightning reportedly struck the village while the young girl was on the phone and she was killed.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *