A 12-year-old Hong Kong boy who was in intensive care after he choked on a beef ball snack, died in Kowloon on Sunday, two days after he was admitted to hospital.
The tragedy happened at 5pm on Friday when the boy surnamed Chow, a secondary one student living in Chuk Yuen South Estate in Wong Tai Sin, bought snacks including dim sum siu mai, fish balls and beef balls at an eatery in the public housing estate, Oriental Daily reported.
As he ate the food while walking back home, he choked on a beef ball, collapsed and fell to the ground.
A female security guard found the boy lying unconscious on the ground and called the police. The boy was sent to Caritas Medical Centre in Cheung Sha Wan for resuscitation and later transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung, where he was treated in the intensive care unit.
The boy passed away on Sunday morning. He had reportedly suffered brain damage due to lack of oxygen, which led to multiple organ failure, Sing Tao Daily reported.
The owner of the eatery surnamed Ming was said to be saddened by the death. He recalled that the boy came to the shop alone and did not seem to be in a rush. Mr Ming said he reminded his staff to cut the meatballs in pieces for children.
In February last year, an eight-year-old schoolgirl died after a cuttlefish ball got caught in her throat during recess at her school in Yuen Long.