Singaporean food company Irvins Salted Egg has offered refunds and apologized after a customer in Thailand found a dead lizard in a pack of fish skin snacks.
On December 29, Jane Holloway, 38, shared photos of the pack she bought on her Facebook page. Holloway, who lives in Bangkok, said the lizard was found after her mother and brother were halfway through the pack.
Holloway described the incident as ‘disgusting’ and added that the lizard was likely to have been deep fried with the salmon skin. She added that she had bought the snack in Bangkok early in November.
Irvin Gunawan, the founder of Irvins Salted Egg, said he was shocked in a public statement on January 3. He said the company would take full responsibility and apologized to those affected. Changes would be made to the production line to prevent anything similar from happening again.
He added that he had been in touch with Holloway and that the case has been reported to the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA). Refunds and medical expenses were offered by Gunawan as well.
While some people online urged authorities to take action, some also applauded Irvins Salted Egg’s way of handling the matter, applauding them for facing the incident instead of trying to cover it up.