Bill financing has become an important financing channel for SMEs, as it is more flexible and affordable, helping to lower the financing costs of private and small companies. Image: iStock

China has made major breakthroughs in both the scale of social net wealth and GDP, both of which are important indicators for measuring  overall national strength, The Paper reported.

By the end of 2016, China’s social net wealth totalled 437 trillion yuan (US$63.34 trillion), of which domestic non-financial assets were 424 trillion yuan and external net assets were 13 trillion yuan, according to a report published by Institute of Economics at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.

The net wealth is equivalent to 70.7% of the US wealth level in the same period, ranking second in the world.

Also, China’s GDP was 74.4 trillion yuan, equivalent to 57.2% of that of the US, also ranking second in the world.

In 2016, 73% of China’s social net wealth was owned by residents, with the remaining 27% held by government.

While the government’s net wealth in developed economies remains small, both the US and the UK are negative, and Japan and Germany are less than 5%, said Zhang Xiaojing, deputy director of the Institute of Economics at CASS.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

6 replies on “Nation’s net wealth totalled US$63.34 trillion in 2016”

Comments are closed.