Repulse Bay Road on Hong Kong Island. Photo: Google Maps
Repulse Bay Road on Hong Kong Island. Photo: Google Maps

Two maids saved two children in their care by taking them down the emergency escape route after an air-conditioner caught fire in a luxury apartment on Hong Kong Island.

The incident happened at about 5pm on July 20 when the two maids spotted heavy smoke coming out of an air-conditioner in the living room of an apartment at 82 Repulse Bay Road, the Oriental Daily reported.

The maids immediately grabbed the two children and took them to an open area downstairs. As they made their escape, the maids also knocked on their neighbors’ doors and told them to leave at once.

The two domestic workers escaped without stopping to get their shoes. The two children were unhurt. Firemen evacuated about 14 people to an open area. Six fire engines and one smoke apparatus team were deployed and the fire was put out in 26 minutes, but not before it had gutted the flat.

Media report did not disclose the nationality or other personal information of the two domestic workers.

37 replies on “Maids save children after air-con catches fire in flat”

Comments are closed.