Mui Wo on Lantau Island. Photo: Google Maps

A 35-year-old Indonesian maid was injured when a fire broke out in the house she worked in on Lantau Island on Wednesday night.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of a house in Wang Tong village in Mui Wo on the outlying island at 8pm, Oriental Daily reported. The 35-year-old house owner immediately called police.

The house owner said the stove caught fire and there was an explosion. When firemen arrived at the house, the owner had already extinguished the fire, news website reported.

After an initial investigation, firemen found no suspicious circumstances. The maid suffered injuries to her hands and legs. She was sent to a clinic in Mui Wo for treatment.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.