Haking Wong Building, the University of Hong Kong. Photo: HKU
Haking Wong Building, the University of Hong Kong. Photo: HKU

A Hong Kong university professor is reported to be suicidal after being charged with murdering his wife. He had been remanded in custody.

University of Hong Kong associate professor Cheung Kie-chung is under “special attention” in detention as he was reported to be suicidal.

Cheung appeared at the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on Thursday morning when no plea was taken and there was no application for bail, Radio Television Hong Kong reported.

The prosecutor applied to adjourn the case until November 22 to allow further time for a police investigation. The prosecutor also applied for a “special watch” by the Correctional Services Department during his client’s time in custody as the defendant claimed to feel suicidal.

Cheung, 53, is an associate professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He is also warden of the Wei Lun Hall dormitory where the couple lived with their daughter and son.

He allegedly stuffed his 53-year-old wife Chan Wai-man in a suitcase and placed it a home-made wooden box and used a van to transport it to his office in the Haking Wong Building on the university’s Pok Fu Lam campus, three kilometers from Wei Lun Hall.

Cheung allegedly purchased two sets of wooden boards to make two boxes, one of which was to be used as a decoy, Apple Daily reported. One box, which contained his wife’s body, was taken to his office, while the other was in a workshop in the same building.

Chan allegedly had a quarrel with her daughter on the night of August 16. His daughter left home after the quarrel, while his wife blamed Cheung for not supporting her before they went to bed.

It was revealed that Chan’s younger sister, who visited Cheung’s family from England, heard Chan quarreling with her daughter on the night of August 16, Sing Tao Daily reported. Before flying back to Britain the next day, she asked Cheung where her sister was. Cheung replied that she had gone out.

On August 20, Cheung reported his wife missing to police.

However, after checking surveillance camera footage at the dormitory, police found that Chan had not left the building. Instead, the camera captured Cheung pushing a wooden box on a trolley from the building.

Read: HKU professor arrested on suspicion of murdering wife