Tseung Kwan O Police Station in the New Territories. Photo: Google Maps

A 38-year-old Filipino domestic worker has asked for HK$500,000 (US$63,705) in compensation from her former employer after a child abuse charge against her was dropped by police.

Her employer told the Oriental Daily that the domestic worker was asking the court for HK$500,000 in compensation, alleging the employment contract had been broken.

On Oct 28 last year, police received a report from a woman who accused her domestic worker of sexually abusing her two-year-old daughter in an apartment in Tsuen Kwan O in the New Territories.

Officers from the crime unit at Tseung Kwan O Police Station arrested the domestic worker and charged her with one count of child abuse. The case was first mentioned on Oct 31 at Kwun Tong Magistrates’ Court.

However, after police carried out further investigations and sought advice from prosecution, they dropped the charge on Dec 8 due to a lack of evidence.

The employer said the employment contract with the domestic worker was terminated immediately after the alleged abuse took place. In November, both parties signed an agreement to terminate the employment contract without a one month notice period or payment in lieu, with a witness from the employment agency.

However, two weeks later, the domestic worker demanded HK$500,000 in compensation from the family, including her salary for 12 months, payment in lieu of notice and compensation for psychological damage.

According to cases received by the End Child Sexual Abuse Foundation over the past three years, about 9% of abusers were domestic workers and 90% of the victims were children under 6-years-old.

A spokesperson for the foundation said a young child does not know what sexual abuse is are are easily targeted.

Read: Filipino maid faces child abuse charge
Read: Police confirm no evidence to charge maid for sexual assault
Read: Woman who accused maid of abusing daughter gets sued

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now. 

18 replies on “Filipino sues for HK$500,000 after child abuse case dropped”

Comments are closed.