Six Filipinos who were on their way to work in Dubai were rescued last week from an alleged illegal recruiter.
Four of the workers were found on Thursday at a house where the recruiter, Mary Jane Alcala, told them to stay before taking a flight to Dubai, while two others were intercepted at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3, GMA News reported.
The workers, who were from Iloilo, Zamboanga del North, Isabela and Davao, said Alcala promised them jobs in Dubai without having to pay any fees and that they would be given a work visa two weeks after they arrived.
The recruiter offered to process the workers’ travel documents, such as their birth certificates, police clearance, and tourist visas. The workers said Alcala paid for the processing of their documents.
But the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said travel documents given to the workers turned out to be fake.
However, affidavits of support and guarantee had official signatures, ribbons and receipts from the Philippine Embassy in Abu Dhabi – but did not have the workers’ names or details.
Bernard dela Cruz, a member of the NBI International Airport Investigation Unit, said one of the workers claimed that some employees from the Bureau of Immigration were involved in the illegal recruitment.