Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong. Photo: Google Maps
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong. Photo: Google Maps

A Filipino maid and her female employer, both 59, were in critical condition after a blaze broke out in an apartment in Kowloon Tong early on Saturday. Initial investigation suggested that the fire started in a cushion that had been left near an old heater.

The blaze broke out around midnight in one of the five bedrooms of an apartment owned by a family of four in Pine Tree Garden on Ede Road in Kowloon Tong, Apple Daily reported.

Of the five bedrooms, one was used by a married couple, two rooms belonged to two daughters aged 31 and 25, one was used by a Filipino maid who had worked for the family for 20 years, and the fifth was a reading room.

The fire started in the elder daughter’s room. She tried to put out the blaze but failed, and then woke her 59-year-old mother for assistance.

The mother failed to help put out the fire and was badly injured on her hands and face in the attempt.

The family then tried to wake up the maid, but she did not respond, having fallen unconscious from smoke inhalation. The other four residents of the apartment then managed to escape, and the injured mother was sent to hospital.

Firemen put out the blaze at 2:20am after evacuating about 50 people to an open area.

The unconscious domestic worker was rescued in her room. She was sent to Kwong Wah Hospital and was in critical condition.

23 replies on “Maid, employer critically injured after heater causes fire”

Comments are closed.