Yuen Long, New Territories .Photos: Google Maps, iStock

An eight-year-old girl was sent to hospital in critical condition after a cuttlefish ball got lodged in her throat during a recess at her school in Yuen Long, New Territories, on Thursday.

At 10:30am, the girl, a Primary 3 student at Buddhist Chan Wing Kan Memorial School, was snacking on cuttlefish balls before suddenly fainting in the playground, Headline Daily reported.

A staffer called the police while a teacher provided first aid before paramedics arrived.

The girl was first sent to Pok Oi Hosptial and was later transferred to Tuen Mun Hosptial. She was declared in critical condition and admitted to the intensive care unit.

It was understood that the girl had tried to swallow her snack too quickly when the bell rang to signal the end of recess, and a cuttlefish ball got lodged in her throat.

The school food shop has stopped selling cooked food, including cuttlefish balls, fish balls and siu-mai, a type of Chinese dim-sum, Sing Pao reported.