Duterte is considering a ban on the deployment of all types of Filipino workers in Kuwait. Photos: Wikimedia Commons, Irvin Calicut, Presidential Communications Office

President Rodrigo Duterte is considering a total ban on Filipinos working in Kuwait because of the increasing number of sexual abuse cases.

On Thursday, Duterte said there had been an increasing number of deaths of Filipino workers in the country due to the abuse, Philippine Daily Inquirer reported.

“We have lost about four Filipino women in the last few months and it’s always in Kuwait,” Duterte said during the launch of the Overseas Filipino Bank in Manila.

Duterte urged the government of Kuwait to take action on the alleged abuse cases.

“I do not want to quarrel with Kuwait. I respect their leaders but they have to do something about this because many of the women commit suicide,” he said.

“My advice is we talk to them, state the truth and just tell them that it’s not acceptable anymore. Either we impose a total ban or we have a correction,” he said.

Silvestre Bello III, secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment, said Duterte is considering a possible ban on the deployment of all types of Filipino workers in Kuwait.

Read: ‘Violent’ Kuwaiti woman doctor charged over abuse of Filipina

Read: Filipino maid ‘hanged herself’ at employer’s house in Kuwait

Read: 39 Filipinos ‘forced into prostitution’ in Kuwait

4 replies on “Duterte considers total ban on Filipino workers in Kuwait”

Comments are closed.