A 24-year-old domestic worker from Myanmar who was spotted walking on the ledge of an public-housing block in Bukit Panjang, Singapore, on Wednesday morning was saved by a tenant who grabbed her hands just in time and held on long enough for police to arrive.
The maid had reportedly locked herself accidentally in a room of her employer’s apartment and had gotten herself into the dangerous predicament by trying to escape.
The incident happened at around 8am at a Housing and Development Board block on Bukit Panjang Ring Road, Lianhe Wanbao (Singapore) reported.
A video of the incident, which went viral online, showed the maid standing outside a unit on the fifth floor of the residential building. She began walking along the ledge, crossing over to another smaller ledge, and then hung on to a railing for some time before being rescued by a 35-year-old female tenant living next door, who managed to hold the maid’s hands tightly.
The maid dangled from the railing for a while and was eventually pulled to safety by police officers and two members of the public.
According to preliminary information provided by the woman’s 55-year-old employer, the maid, who had only been in Singapore for a month, had been tidying up the master bedroom, whose door lock had been out of order for some time. She forgot to keep the door open with a doorstop.
After being trapped for more than 30 minutes, she decided to escape from the room by climbing out and walking along the exterior wall.
Her employer said he had warned his maid not to put herself into any danger such as by cleaning windows while unattended, but she seemed unable to follow his orders.
Reportedly the woman has lost her job as her employer was not impressed by her work attitude.