Kowloon Bay, Hong Kong. Photo: Google Maps

The trial of a Filipino worker accused of taking an upskirt video of a woman with his phone in Kowloon Bay was postponed until Friday December 15 after the phone with the footage failed to recharge at a hearing last week.

Nelson San Juan, who allegedly took an upskirt video of a woman in Kowloon Bay in December last year, is on trial for committing an act outraging public decency, sunwebhk.com reported.

On December 23 last year, San Juan was accused of following a woman in a mall in Kowloon Bay with his mobile phone’s video camera switched on. A plainclothes police officer saw the pair and followed them.

The officer then alerted the woman. He accosted San Juan and checked his phone. San Juan was arrested and his phone was confiscated.

Last week in Kwun Tong Court, San Juan’s legal representative said the phone had been kept by the police since last year and its battery had drained. He said the phone needed at least 25 minutes to charge to be able to view the video.

The magistrate then decided to postpone the trial until December 15 due to lack of time for the phone to be recharged.

In Hong Kong, the maximum penalty for committing an act outraging public decency is seven years jail.

Read: Hong Kong man jailed six weeks for upskirt video of maid

Read: Man jailed 16 weeks for taking upskirt videos of date

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.