North Korea’s state-run media said Sunday that a massive banquet was held to celebrate the “perfect success” of a hydrogen bomb test on September 3, according to a report in Korea JoongAng Daily.
Leader Kim Jong-un reportedly encouraged the crowds of participating scientists and technicians at the eat fest to “attain the final goal of completing the state nuclear force.”
JoongAng said the date and location of the event weren’t mentioned by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). But local experts believe it was held Saturday, as Kim’s activities are normally reported a day later. Saturday is when North Korea’s government celebrated the 69th anniversary of its founding.
While airing footage from the festivities, Korean Central TV, the government broadcaster, showed what appeared to be a video clip of preparations for the country’s sixth nuclear test on September 3. The clip featured images of scientists working next to an object that resembled a nuclear warhead, with the word “hydrogen bomb” inscribed on it in Korean.
Nuclear analysts are still trying to determine if Pyongyang actually detonated a hydrogen weapon earlier this month. But South Korea’s Nuclear Safety and Security Commission said Friday that it found traces of radioactive xenon gas in the East Sea, which doesn’t occur naturally.