Ap Lei Chau Estate in Aberdeen, Hong Kong Island. Photo: Google Maps

Firefighters evacuated around 200 people after a dehumidifier caught fire in an apartment in a public housing estate in Aberdeen, southern Hong Kong Island, early on Thursday.

The blaze broke out around 4am on the balcony of a 10th-floor apartment in Lei Chak House at Ap Lei Chau Estate, Sing Tao Daily reported.

The owner of the apartment said she had turned on the dehumidifier to dry some clothes before going to bed. When one of her children woke up at 4am, she saw smoke coming from the balcony and realized that the dehumidifier was on fire, burning clothes that were hanging nearby, Apple Daily reported.

The woman immediately woke up her family and called the police.

Firemen put out the blaze in 25 minutes after evacuating around 200 people to an open area.

No one was reported injured but the woman’s apartment was gutted.

It was the fourth fire caused by a dehumidifier in Hong Kong in three months.

Read: Maid saves family after dehumidifier catches fire

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.