Unsafe cosmetic cream (inset) was purchased at Nan Fung Centre in Tsuen Wan, New Territories. Photos: Wikipedia, Hong Kong Government

A 30-year-old woman was found to be suffering from mercury poisoning after she developed swelling of the lower limbs in late May, likely linked to two cosmetic cream products that she had bought in Tsuen Wan.

An investigation found that the mercury level in the woman’s blood was higher than the reference level, according to a press release on Thursday from the Centre for Health Protection of the Hong Kong Department of Health.

After testing, the CHP found that the mercury levels in the two products, a-DHA Beauty Care Day Cream and a-DHA Beauty Care Night Cream, were significantly above the acceptable level.

Chronic exposure to mercury can cause damage to the nervous system and kidneys, a CHP spokesman said, urging people who have used the products to stop immediately and consult healthcare professionals as soon as possible if they feel unwell or are in doubt.

The woman in question bought the products at a cosmetics store on the ground floor of Nan Fung Centre in Tsuen Wan in the New Territories, Ta Kung Po reported.

She applied the cream on her face for two months before the symptoms developed. She is in stable condition now.

Meanwhile, customs officers seized 56 bottles of suspected unsafe products in Tsuen Wan on Thursday.

4 replies on “Warning issued after poisoning linked to facial cream”

Comments are closed.