Three men have been charged with one count of robbery while another man was charged with one count of handling stolen goods after they were accused of injuring a businessmen and stealing his diamonds in March last year.
On March 18, 2016, Arvind Kanuhai Nasit was on his way to a client’s office in Hung Hom in Kowloon with a cross-body bag that carried 1,100 carats of diamonds worth HK$1.5 million (US$191,750) in eight small packs, Oriental Daily reported.
While he was walking in an alley off Man Yue Street, he was hit with an object from behind, causing him fall to the ground. He was then further attacked on his head, back and legs. Someone tried to open his arms and snatch his bag, which he was holding tightly. The attackers finally got the bag and ran away.
On April 28 last year, an undercover police officer met three suspects in a karaoke shop in Kowloon Bay and was offered seven packs of diamonds for HK$600,000. The trio claimed to have risked their lives to obtain the diamonds in a robbery but were willing to cut the price to HK$400,000.
On May 11, police arrested those three men and another man who attempted to close the deal in a hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui.
Amin Nayab, Akbar Adil and Muhammad Akram were each charged with one count of robbery while Muhammad Imran was charged with one count of handling stolen goods.
Nasit recognized that the seven packs of diamonds for sale worth HK$800,000 belonged to him but said the rest of the haul was missing.
When the High Court last Friday played two surveillance videos showing Nasit being beaten up by at least six men for about 10 seconds, the victim cried and became emotional, Apple Daily reported. Judge Wilson Chan allowed a break for him to calm down.
Nasit told the court that he couldn’t see clearly the objects the robbers had used to attack him.
The trial resumed on Monday.