Dian Yulia Novi (second left), arrested last year on suspicion of plotting to blow herself up outside the Indonesian presidential palace, stands trial along with her husband Muhammad Nur Solihin (second right) and co-defendants in Jakarta on June 21, 2017. Photo: Reuters/ Agoes Rudianto

A 28-year-old Indonesian woman who formerly worked in Singapore as a domestic worker has been sentenced to seven and a half years in jail over a suicide-bombing plot in Jakarta, The Straits Times reported on Tuesday.

Dian Yulia Novi, from Cirebon in West Java province, was arrested late last year along with her husband and five others, a day before she and other members of a terrorist cell attempted to attack the presidential complex of Indonesian leader Joko Widodo with a rice-cooker bomb, the report said.

She had worked in Singapore and Taiwan as a domestic helper, and was in Singapore between 2008 and 2009, according to another report by the New Paper.

The sentencing marks the first time in the world’s largest Muslim-majority country that a woman has been convicted over a planned suicide-bombing attack.

The bomb plot was linked to Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian militant with ties to ISIS who also allegedly masterminded attacks in Jakarta last year.

Prosecutors had pushed for a 10-year sentence for Dian. Her lawyer told Reuters that Dian’s sentence was reduced as she had admitted to her involvement.

Kamsi, her lawyer, also told The Straits Times that Dian had been  radicalized through a “careless” understanding of Islam. Dian herself said in an interview last year that her exposure to radical Islam came through Facebook.

The involvement of women like Dian marks a shift in the strategy of militant groups in Indonesia, where women, instead of men, are now recruited for such attacks, Indonesian police said in the Straits Times report.