Representational image: Deccan Chronicle

As many as 50 private school students were treated in hospital on Wednesday after they inhaled ammonia from an exploded gas cylinder at a nearby cold storage facility, according to media reports.

At the time of the incident, there were about 800 students on the campus in Madhya Pradesh’s Chhindwara, 286 km from Bhopal, according to PTI.

District Collector J K Jain said, “Fifty students were taken to the district hospital after they complained of uneasiness. They were sent home after medical check-up and being provided medication. We have evacuated the school. We have ordered an inquiry into the incident. The police is questioning the owner of the cold storage.” He added that the police were questioning the cold storage facility’s owner.

Asia Times Financial is now live. Linking accurate news, insightful analysis and local knowledge with the ATF China Bond 50 Index, the world's first benchmark cross sector Chinese Bond Indices. Read ATF now.