Belvedere Garden, Tsuen Wan, New Territories. Photos: Google Maps, Wikimedia Commons

An Indonesian domestic worker saved an elderly woman and a child after a dehumidifier caught fire in an apartment in Tsuen Wan in New Territories on Monday afternoon.

Around noon, the maid turned on the dehumidifier to dry some clothes in the master bedroom in an apartment at Block 5 of Belvedere Garden Phase 2, Sing Tao Daily reported.

Heading out to buy some medicines, she then left the apartment, where a 70-year-old woman and her two-year-old granddaughter were sleeping in the living room and bedroom respectively.

Suddenly, the dehumidifier caught fire and burned a mattress, without anyone noticing. After half an hour, the domestic worker returned home and smelled something burned. She put out the fire with water and led the elderly woman and the child to a safe place, Apple Daily reported.

Firemen believed that the accident was caused by a short circuit in the dehumidifier.

It was the fourth fire caused by dehumidifiers in Hong Kong in two weeks.

The elderly woman’s son, who employs the maid, said he bought the European-brand dehumidifier for HK$4,000 (about US$500) four years ago.

Read: Family flees dehumidifier blaze at Merbok’s height

Read: Woman burnt after dehumidifier goes on fire in Central

5 replies on “Maid saves family after dehumidifier catches fire”

Comments are closed.