A short circuit in a lamp sparked a fire in the Coffee Academics in an outdoor area of The One shopping mall in Granville Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon district, that seriously damaged the cafe on Thursday, local media reported.
A staff member said an electrician had checked the fuse box earlier that day because some appliances did not work after the heavy rainstorm on Wednesday that caused flash flooding across parts of Hong Kong.
Black smoke was seen coming out from the cafe at 9.45am and the fire had blackened the wall of the mall, Ta Kung Pao reported. Firefighters put out the blaze in 30 minutes.
The cafe’s lease was due to expire on June 30, Apple Daily reported.