A Filipina domestic, together with three children, was rescued after her male employer, named Cheung, tried to kill himself by inhaling the fumes released from burning charcoal at his home in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Tuesday morning.
At 6am, Cheung, aged 35, was founded unconscious by his wife in his room on the second floor of a village house in Yau Kom Tau, local media reported. He had apparently tried to gas himself and his daughter, 6, and a son, 4. Another son, 2, was sleeping in the maid’s room.
The daughter had to wear an oxygen mask when she was taken to hospital. The man was sent to Yan Chai Hospital while the three children were in Princess Margaret Hospital.
The maid was emotionally distraught after the incident and needed medical help.
A neighbor told Oriental Daily that Cheung and his wife had had some quarrels and that she had moved out of the home.
Cheung’s wife returned home on Tuesday morning as she received a call from her husband’s colleague. Cheung was arrested by the police for attempted murder.