Wing Yau House, 53-55 Sai Street, Sheung Wan Photo: Google map

A cocaine-fueled Frenchman, who had recently celebrated his birthday, died of smoke inhalation after he set his Sheung Wan home on fire in Hong Kong Island  late on Friday evening.

Clement Bitton, 33, a Hong Kong identity card holder, lived alone in the fourth floor flat of Wing Yau House, 53-55 Sai Street, Oriental Daily reported.

At 11:35pm, dense smoke was seen coming out from Bitton’s apartment, prompting 10 residents in the same building to make their escape. Firefighters arrived and spent 40 minutes putting out the fire.

They later found Bitton, who was wearing only his underpants, lying unconscious in the toilet and also a small amount of cocaine. The Frenchman was sent to the hospital, but had died of smoke inhalation.

As a mattress was burnt near the main door inside the apartment, the police did not rule out the possibility that Bitton was the one who set the fire, but he failed to escape after having taken the drugs, Wen Wei Po reported.

One reply on “Cocaine-fueled Frenchman dies after he sets fire to flat”

Comments are closed.