Former welterweight boxing champion Floyd Mayweather said Wednesday he was “interested” in a fight with Conor McGregor and had already offered the mixed martial arts star US$15 million to climb into the ring with him.
Mayweather, who retired in 2015 with a perfect 49-0 record, told ESPN’s First Take program that a McGregor bout was the only thing that could tempt him to end his exile from the ring.
The 39-year-old was responding to a question about whether he would consider a rematch with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao following the duo’s much-heralded “Fight of the Century” two years ago.
“Only thing I’m probably interested in is the Conor McGregor fight,” Mayweather said. “I’m a businessman and it makes business sense. I believe in what me and [business adviser] Al Haymon talk about every day — I believe in working smarter, not harder.”
Mayweather revealed initial talks with McGregor’s representatives had taken place, but stalled.
“We tried to make the Conor McGregor fight,” Mayweather said. “They know what my number is. My number is a guaranteed US$100 million. That was my number.