Responding to Goldman: You asked where Republicans have gone and ended with the rhetorical question: If America is still America.

I came to America as a refugee kid in 1949. My Dad, who was at the time a financially strapped graduate student, told me that if I studied and worked hard, I could aspire to live the American Dream.

Sure enough, I graduated at the top of my high school class and MIT gave me enough financial assistance for me to attend with minimal help from my parents. As entering freshman I was warned that the professor would lecture on how to fry an egg in class but would asked how to scramble one in the test. Thinking out of the box was the American Way then.

Recently, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar of the NBA fame wrote in TIME (10/5/15) an elegant query on what American students and politicians have against reason. He observed:

“Yet there seems to be a growing belief among college students, and some fearful parents, that being exposed to anything that challenges the comfort zone of beliefs might infringe on their rights. Teachers are free to explain facts, but not to offer ideas that might be unpopular, provocative or disturbing.”

Kareem decried American society’s hostility to education and educated experts. America, he felt, is against teaching students “to think logically in order to form opinions based on facts rather than on familial and social influences.”

I would go further. I think a good portion of America now equates pro-science with anti-God. Earth is six thousand years old. Period. End of discussion.

Recently, Professor Peter Fisher, head of MIT physics department gave a talk on cosmology. He said the universe that we can see, i.e., all the stars, galaxies and other light sources make up only 4% of the universe. The other 96% of the universe is made up of dark matter and dark energy. So far, we humans have not found a way to see the dark matter and energy.

That was an OMG moment for me. That 96% gives the Creationists and advocates of Intelligence Design plenty of “ground” to stand on. Maybe in a “dark” world, earth has been around only 6000 years.

George Koo

George Koo retired from a global advisory services firm where he advised clients on their China strategies and business operations. Educated at MIT, Stevens Institute and Santa Clara University, he is the founder and former managing director of International Strategic Alliances. He is currently a board member of Freschfield's, a novel green building platform.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.