Three people were sent to hospital after a fire broke out in an apartment in a public housing estate in Kowloon on Friday. At 8pm, many residents of Lok Tai House in Lok Fu Estate in Lok Fu called Hong Kong police to report heavy smoke pouring out of an apartment on the sixth floor, Oriental Daily reported.
Firemen arrived and rescued three people from the apartment, including a 70-year-old man who suffered burns on his face. Paramedics put a protective mask on his face and took him to a hospital.
An 87-year-old Hong Kong woman and a 43-year-old Indonesian domestic worker felt unwell after inhaling too much smoke. They were also sent to hospital.
Around 200 residents of the building, mainly children and elderly people who had difficulties walking, were evacuated with police assistance.
Firemen put out the fire in 30 minutes but the apartment was seriously damaged.
After an initial investigation, firefighters said the blaze appeared to have resulted from a cooking mishap. No foul play was involved.