Islamic State (IS) theologians have issued an extremely detailed ruling on when “owners” of women enslaved by the extremist group can have sex with them, in an apparent bid to curb what they called violations in the treatment of captured females.
The ruling or fatwa has the force of law and appears to go beyond the Islamic State’s previous known utterances on the subject, a leading Islamic State scholar said. It sheds new light on how the group is trying to reinterpret centuries-old teachings to justify the sexual slavery of women in the swaths of Syria and Iraq it controls.
The fatwa was among a huge trove of documents captured by US Special Operations Forces during a raid targeting a top Islamic State official in Syria in May. Reuters has reviewed some of the documents, which have not been previously published.
Among the religious rulings are bans on a father and son having sex with the same female slave; and the owner of a mother and daughter having sex with both. Joint owners of a female captive are similarly enjoined from intercourse because she is viewed as “part of a joint ownership.”
The 15 points from the fatwa:
- It is not permissible for the owner of a female captive to have intercourse with her until after she has had menstrual cycle and becomes clean.
- If she does not menstruate and is pregnant, he is not allowed to have intercourse with her until after she has given birth.
- It is not permissible to cause her to abort if she is pregnant.
- If the owner of a female captive releases her, only he can have intercourse with her and he cannot allow someone else to have intercourse with her.
- If the owner of a female captive, who has a daughter suitable for intercourse, has sexual relations with the latter, he is not permitted to have intercourse with her mother and she is permanently off limits to him. Should he have intercourse with her mother then he is not permitted to have intercourse with her daughter and she is to be off-limits to him.
- The owner of two sisters is not allowed to have intercourse with both of them; rather he may have intercourse only with one. The other sister is to be had by him, if he were to relinquish ownership of the first sister by selling her, giving her away or releasing her.
- If the female captive is owned by a father, his son cannot have intercourse with her and vice-versa. Moreover, intercourse with his wife’s female captive is also not permissible.
- If a father had intercourse with his female captive then gave her away or sold her to his son, he is no longer permitted to have intercourse with her.
- If the female captive becomes pregnant by her owner, he cannot sell her and she is released after his death.
- If the owner releases his female captive then he is not permitted to have intercourse with her afterwards because she has become free and is no longer his property.
- If two or more individuals are involved in purchasing a female captive, none of them are permitted to have sex with her because she is part of a joint ownership.
- It is not permissible to have intercourse with a female captive during her menstrual cycle.
- It is not permissible to have anal sex with a female captive.
- The owner of a female captive should show compassion towards her, be kind to her, not humiliate her and not assign her work she is unable to perform.
- The owner of a female captive should not sell her to an individual whom he knows will treat her badly or do unto her what Allah has forbidden.